By Ian Worthington
- Traces the increase of rhetoric and its makes use of from Homer to Byzantium
- Covers wider-ranging subject matters resembling rhetoric's dating to wisdom, ethics, faith, legislation, and emotion
- Incorporates new fabric giving us clean insights into how the Greeks observed and used rhetoric
- Discusses the assumption of rhetoric and examines the prestige of rhetoric stories, current and future
- All quotations from old resources are translated into English
Read or Download A Companion to Greek Rhetoric (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Similar rhetoric books
This quantity discusses distinctive views at the research of argumentative discourse: the dialectical and the rhetorical point of view. It intends to open an intensive dialogue of the 2 methods, their commonalities and variations, and the ways that, in a few mixture or different, they are often used to additional the advance of sound analytic instruments for facing argumentation.
The bible for debaters and their coaches. approximately each highschool and faculty in the United States has a debate membership and/or a debate staff. There are enormous quantities of competitions on the county and kingdom point, culminating in heated nationwide competitions. but, at many excessive colleges and schools, coaches are drawn from the heritage or English departments with very little event within the hugely dependent tactics of this well known self-discipline.
During this groundbreaking examine, Portnoy hyperlinks antebellum Indian elimination debates with an important, simultaneous debates approximately African Americans--abolition of slavery and African colonization--revealing methods eu American girls negotiated prohibitions to make their voices heard. Situating the debates inside of modern, competing rules approximately race, faith, and country, Portnoy examines the ability during which ladies argued for a "right to talk" on nationwide coverage.
In spring of 1953, newly elected President Eisenhower sat down along with his employees to debate the nation of yankee technique within the chilly battle. the United States, he insisted, wanted a brand new method of an pressing scenario. From this assembly emerged Eisenhower’s groups of “bright younger fellows,” charged with constructing competing rules, every one of which might come to form international politics.
- Liminal Bodies, Reproductive Health, and Feminist Rhetoric: Searching the Negative Spaces in Histories of Rhetoric
- Ambient Rhetoric: The Attunements of Rhetorical Being (Pitt Comp Literacy Culture)
- The Rhetoric of Rebel Women: Civil War Diaries and Confederate Persuasion (Studies in Rhetorics and Feminisms)
- You, the People: American National Identity in Presidential Rhetoric (Presidential Rhetoric and Political Communication)
Additional resources for A Companion to Greek Rhetoric (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
A Companion to Greek Rhetoric (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) by Ian Worthington